Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) guide

It is a legal requirement in Australia to obtain Responsible Service of Alcohol training before working in areas where alcohol is provided. As a result, whether you want to work in a bar, restaurant, bottle shop, or even a nightclub, you must have an RSA Certificate.

What exactly is an RSA certificate? And why might you need one?

An RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) is a certificate that proves you understand the laws governing alcohol use in Australia. It is required if you wish to work in the hospitality industry. You earn your RSA by taking a particular course, which is required in all states.

During this course, you will learn skills such as how to serve alcohol safely, things to look out for and legal requirements when serving patrons. The course aims to give you an understanding of the laws regulating alcohol and its usage in Australia such as how to measure standard pours and when you need to refuse service.

How much does an RSA certificate cost?

The good news is that if you select the right Registered Training Organisation (RTO), you won't have to spend a lot of money. Normally, the rates range from $40 to $160, depending on the package selected and the state where the work is performed.

Usually, the state of Victoria only authorises instruction in classrooms, not online.However, due to the COVID-19 epidemic, the Victorian Commission for Gambling andLiquor Regulation has recently authorised select organisations to supply RSA Victoria with online training. Please be aware that if you have an RSA certificate from another state, you may refresh it over the internet (RSA Refresher) and avoid having to go through the complete training process again in Victoria (conditions apply).

Where can you get your RSA certificate?

To find your local Registered Training Organisation, use the below links:

Is the RSA certificate accepted throughout Australia?

Since the laws governing the sale and service of alcoholic beverages differ from state to state, the RSA does not apply uniformly. Because each state has its own liquor licence rules, you won't be able to obtain an RSA certificate that is valid all acrossAustralia.

When should I get my RSA?

We recommended that you finish the course before looking for a career in hospitality as it will increase your chances of landing a job. Note it is illegal to work with alcohol without an RSA certificate, so if you do not have one when you start your employment and are handling alcohol, you need to flag this with your employer and seek the relevant training.